Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ash Wednesday

Today is Ash Wednesday which marks the start of Lent, the 40 days before Easter. (Can you believe Easter is only 40 days away!)
Growing up I loved the Ash Wednesday service at church. You leave with an ash cross on your forehead, but it was cool. The season of Lent is symbolic of the 40 days Jesus spent in the wilderness (I think) and you are traditional supposed to give up or sacrifice something. I have given up things in the past (Cokes, Fast Food, etc) but this year I am going to start "doing" something. At the end of the 40 days I want to have made a change in my life and the world around me, not just start drinking Cokes again. So this year, I stole my idea from my mom (HI MOM!) and am going to do an intentional random act of kindness everyday. It can be something simple to letting someone pull out in traffic in front of me to something a little more grand.
Stay tuned for updates on how I'm doing.

3 comments:

Emily G. said...

I think this is a GREAT idea! That was my new year's resolution - to do one "random act of kindness" once a month (yes, I aim high). So far, they've both involved cars...I helped someone jump a battery in the mall parking lot, and then I helped an old lady who'd been locked out of her car in the Kroger parking lot. I guess I need to branch out from parking lots!! :) Anyways, great idea...and once a DAY...good for you!!

Hallie Madewell said...

I think thats AWESOME! I have one question though.. what if someone has a bird in their garage and desperately needs your help???? hahhaha

Annette said...

What a wonderful way to observe Lent! I try to say something complimentary to the person at the window at the bank drive thru, fast food drive thru, etc. It may only be that you have a nice voice or a beautiful smile. You'd be surprised the responses you get! Even grouchy people respond kindly!