Tuesday, June 3, 2008

our projects

I have a list of project we want to do around our house hanging on the side of our fridge. We have finally finished one- our front flower beds. So as promised, here are a few pictures of the completed project.


I'm pretty please with how it all turned out and so far everything is living and appears to be thriving! Go me!

Next project- a pergola on our back porch. Here is what we are aiming for, although eventually mine will have an outdoor fireplace attached.

Luckily I have a brother living with me (aka free labor) who just so happens to be a structural engineer. Robert designed the pergola and we got started earlier this week.
Step one, frame and dig holes.

Step two, put post in ground. Side story- we bought two 80 pound bags of concert the first time we went to Lowes thinking that would be plenty, one bag per hole. Let's just say, we've been back twice - since each hole took six 80 pound bags to fill! I had the pleasure of loading them in the back of my jeep- let's just say, I am stronger than I thought! A quick shout out to the guy at Lowe's who finally came to help me on the last bag!

Step three will be to attached the headed to the house. Then on to the beams.... stay tuned for more pictures.

2 comments:

D'Leigh said...

WOW! I am going to look so fabulous sitting under it with a cool one relaxing after a hard day at the neighborhood pool! Keep up the good work, kids!!! See you this weekend for an inspection!!! =-)

Emily G. said...

Holy cow, you guys never take a break! Flower beds look AWESOME! And can't wait to drink a beer under that pergola...