Friday, July 3, 2009

Dear Mary Leigh....

Today is my four year anniversary. It's been quite a fun and adventurous 4 years.

I've learned a lot about myself, marriage, and what it takes to make it work over the last 4 years. So today, I've decided to write myself a letter. Someone, please give this to me 4 years ago in the Bride's Room right before I walk down the aisle.

Dear Mary Leigh,

It's your wedding day. It's everything you've dreamed and planned for 18 months. It will be perfect and more than you could have asked for. You are starting on an adventure that will last a lifetime. You have worked so hard to plan this wedding, but let me give you some advice that will help in the planning of your marriage.

Your marriage will be a blast! And it will go by so quickly! Take time to enjoy life together, don't rush through it! In four years you will wonder where the time went.

You don't always have to be right. The sooner you let that go, the easier.

You've never loved cleaning and it will be worse when you have a big 'ole house to clean. But you'll have to clean and Nick will help, so value that.

It doesn't matter how much money you make, if you have a job you love it will make for a happier marriage than any amount of money.

Spend time together. Just the two of you and enjoy each other. You will have roommates, sooner than you think and longer than you think. Enjoy the time alone together.

I know you have this big plan of moving back towards "home" in a year, but you are going to fall in love with Murfreesboro. You'll find that Murfreesboro is your "home" and you won't want to leave. And guess what- some of your family moves to Murfreesboro, it's so great!

You won't believe the kind of church you will find and love. It's so not what you think, but I won't spoil that one for you!

You'll learn to love to cook. Yes, you read that right. You will COOK! And it will be good. Couple of tips though: don't put all the okra in the frying pan at once. And don't grab the handle of the skillet- it's still hot. Oh, and don't use your sweatshirt as an oven mit - it will catch on fire!

There is a perfect man at the end of that isle waiting for you. You are truly marrying your perfect mate today. There will be days when it won't seem that way, but trust me girl he will become your rock. You will build a love that is so strong. Not one of those butterflies in the stomach, huggy, kissy kinds of love, but a true deep, rock solid, best friends kinds of love. When you face challenges and struggles, you will face them together side by side. He won't walk in front of you to shield you from things, but he will be beside you as your best friend, strongest supporter, and loudest cheerleader.

It's an incredible journey, slow down and enjoy it!

You make a great wife!
- yourself in 4 years

6 comments:

The Overstreets said...

Love that! Please print and save it for your little girl. Happy anniversary to the two of you!

Hallie Madewell said...

You're so creative!!!!
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Anonymous said...

This is so sweet ML. I agree with Casey...you've gotta print this and save it.

Oh and I never told you - Happy 4 year Anniversary! :)

Annette said...

Mary Leigh, You are an amazing young woman!!!! Can I say how proud of you I am??? If I haven't done anything worthwhile in my life, I have made the world a better place by doing my part to bring your mother into the world... Of course her part was bring all FOUR of you Harvells into the world! We've done the world PROUD! MawMaw

Lora said...

What a great post - you brought tears to my eyes, so many of the things you said are true. I hope you and Nick had a wonderful anniversary and this year is even better for you!

Katie said...

Now my desk is wet from the tears. Happy Anniversary!