Monday, November 24, 2008

grateful

We had a rockin' worship Sunday at church. It started with some jammin' (that's so 80's sounding) music and then an awesome sermon about having a grateful heart. And followed that up with a great lesson for our 4th -6th graders about entitlement and wrapped up Sunday with a great small group lesson about contentment. Sometimes God really gets your attention, doesn't he?I thought myself of somewhat of a grateful person until Sunday when I re-evaulated my gratefullness. I guess I was one of those people who was grateful for the "big picture": thanks for my family and my friends, thanks for the food on the table, you know, pretty simple thanks. Allen (our preacher) urged us to celebrate the specifics.
"Thank you for a husband who does the laundry while I watch Jon and Kate plus 8 and doesn't ask me to help because he knows I love that show"
"Thank you for a mother who never forgot to pick me up from practices as a kid"

I can't tell you the difference it's made in the last two days. Having a grateful heart really helps me look at the world differently. In an economy that isn't so perky right now it's made a difference to find the specific things to be grateful for. Like today, I had to get my oil changed before headed to Mom and Dad's for Thanksgiving and I found myself driving home thanking God for allowing me to have to PAY for an oil change cause it means I have a car to drive and a family to go home to. I mean, that is NOT the way I normally think. I'm a "oh great, how much is that gonna cost" thinker.
I know it's Thanksgiving week, but I'm not just taking one day, or a week to be thankful- I'm making it a change in my everyday attitude!
Allen told us "Giving thanks is a catalyst for experiencing God in your life". I don't know about you, but I don't wanna miss God in my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing. :) That's a great challenge and I'm going to put it into practice too.

Oh yeah - and I'm right there with you - there's nothing better than a rocking worship service. We had one ourselves on Sunday. LOVE it.

Katie said...

Yes, thanks for sharing. I think we all can and should take a few extra minutes everyday to be thankful for the specifics. I think this is an appropriate time to start. Thank you so much for sharing. I too will take the challenge to thank God for the big things and little things down the last detail. Have a great Thanksgiving!