Friday, August 8, 2008

name brand vs. brand name

I went to the dreaded WalMart on Wednesday with Marty to do a little grocery shopping. I really do HATE that place, but since I was buying so many groceries, I broke down and went to WalMart. Thanks for being my tour guide Marty.
Before she got there I picked up a few things I knew I could find, one being garbage bags. I opted for the Hefty odor sheild. Marty saw them and suggested I save some $$ and get the WalMart brand. Now trash bags are one of those things I never buy the off brand of, just not sure how they will do. (I'll let you know how these bags work)

So, this got me thinking. What are other items you do not buy the off brand off...
Here is my list.
1. detergent. I choose liquid tide (bought at sams)
2. Cokes. I tried the Publix cola once because it was only a penny, totally won't do that again.
3. Toliet Paper. I think we all know why.
4. tootpaste. that off brand crap is just nasty.
5. Pickles. ewww, they are like rubber and nasty. I like Klausin (sp?)

I had a whole list going in my mind, but this is all I can come up with right now. So add your suggestions to the list...

4 comments:

Leah said...

I am with you and avoiding Wal-Mart. I haven't been back since the Publix opened by us - if Publix doesn't have it, Target does. =)

A for products to add to your list:
*Cereal - the bagged stuff is terrible as is the Publix brand of frosted flakes

*Hot cocoa - always pay extra for the swiss miss dark chocolate sensation

*Kleenex - if the box doesn't say the brand name KLEENEX, then it is guarenteed to rub your nose raw

*Hair care products - professional are always better

*Garbage Bags - I stick with Hefty force flex. The store brand is flimsy and the handles always break when you try to tie them

*Juice - I stick to Juicy Juice and stock up when it is BOGO Free. NOTHING tastes as good as Juicy Juice. Ocassionaly I will get Mott's Apple Juice.

*Chocolate - I don't think I need to explain that one.

These things I will buy the Publix brand of:
*Unsalted Butter
*Milk
*Meds like Tums, Benadryl, Tylenol, etc.
*Sponges
*Sandwich Baggies
*Canned black beans
*Taco Seasoning
*Bow Tie Pasta
*Dental Floss
*Spices

mary leigh said...

nice Leah.
I couldn't agree more with the Kleenex. Oh and juice... except I have a receipe that uses frozen oj, and I get the publix brand.
I'm a little worried about my garbage bags.

Marty Alexander said...

Oh for goodness sakes! Your garbage bags are fine! And what are you worried about? It's not like you actually change the trash!

Annette said...

Add Reynolds wrap to your list. All other aluminum foil is USELESS.