Thursday, August 7, 2008

best trip ever, the finale

So, how did we get all these purchases home. Well, Friday after shopping we decided mom was going to need a different carry on, since hers was TINY. We went to Target to buy bubble wrap, tape, and a new bag for mom. We headed back to Newell to try to pack up.
We unpacked everything from Fiesta onto one bed, this was the staging area. We wrapped it all and packed it on the second bed, the packing bed. The goal was to get all the fiesta in my carry on, mom's carry on, and Anna's carry on. The problem was Anna and I both couldn't carry a purse since we were both carrying on two bags, well, Anna was carrying on a picture frame. More on that later. We actually, surprisingly, got all the Fiesta in our carry ons. Mine and mom's weight about 40 pounds each! The very tried to pack all the Ikea breakables into my suitcase which I would check planeside, rather than have it go to the basement where the gorillas handle it. Yippeeee, everything fit. So we had two bags, mom and Anna's in which we had to fit ALL of our stuff and the leftover Ikea stuff. Let's just say it was tight.......
We ordered a pizza and headed to bed praying for the security personal tomorrow.
We were off to the airport. Now, let me give you a mental picture of what we all had. I was carrying on a about 50 lb bag of fiesta and had my rolling suitcase as my bag to be checked planeside. All in all, I was toting about 90 lbs. Mom had her 40 lb fiesta carry on and a STUFFED checked back. Her bag weighted 52 pounds, but the nice lady let it go without charging her the $90 for an overweight bag! Anna had her fiesta carry on, hers wasn't as heavy for some reason and a HUGE picture frame as her carry on. She tried to check a bag, but it was WAY over weight, so we ended up opening it and moving random things to over bags.
So we got the bags checked and headed through Homeland Security. The men were so nice to us, even with our heavy bags and picture frame. They were helpful and didn't even question us. Awesome! The only person who wasn't so nice was the man at the gate who told me I should not be checking my bag planeside because it was bigger than a carry on. I kinda just said, well that lady told me I could and kept walking. I couldn't risk losing the Ikea bag!
We had to change planes in Cinnicantti. We boarded the plane and were sitting there when the pilot came on and told us "due to a lack of staffing, we are going to have to de-board and wait about 2 hours". What- are you kidding me. We were so close....
Everyone on the plane was grumbling, but what can you do. Some people were starting to get off, when they came back on and said, someone had shown up so we could leave. I said, kinda loudly I guess, oh yeah, I want to kiss him on the mouth. The two guys in front of me and Anna apparently thought that was very funny and just laughed at me. Oh well.
So we made it home safe and sound with nothing broken!! Nick and William picked us up at the airport and we went to celebrate a little tax free weekend. We could buy as much as we wanted now since we didn't have to worry about getting it back on the plane!

1 comment:

Annette said...

I've got to remember those tips when I go to Croatia and Slovenia in November, not to mention New York in Dec. (You know what a shopper I AM!)