Saturday, May 24, 2008

my green thumb

Nick and I have been working over the last four or so weeks and weekends to get our flower beds done. We had to raise the bed like 6 inches, which required 3 truckloads of dirt. Then we had to dig up all the plants in the bed and replant them all. Then a trip to Lowes to buy stuff to replace the things that died last summer. So all in all, we have been very busy. We are down to the finally leg- one more plant, some annuals, then mulch.
Here's how it's shaping up.

Red Geraniums. These are a tradition in my family, started with my great grandmother, Ninny. She had these on her front porch every year. I remember them from playing in her yard as a little girl. My grandmother, MawMaw has them now too, although I think hers are on her back porch, but that's ok. Mom has them on her front porch in a pot. I now I have my very own pot of red geraniums in memory of my Ninny.








Stella de Ora (check the spelling on that) day lillies. Absolutely one of my favorite flowers to have in a flowerbed. They just SCREAM summertime! Not to mention, they are super hardy and grow pretty fast.




New for me this go around. Knock out rose bush. Apparently these are the "new" thing. They kinda grow like an azaela bush but with hardy roses. We'll see how this goes....



I love love love love love these little calalillies I found at Lowe's. I have always loved the flower, but when I saw these cute little ones in a pot- I knew they had to go home with me and live in my flowerbed. Again, never tried my hand at these, so we will see how this goes.

I'll post more pictures of the finished product.

1 comment:

The Overstreets said...

Your pictures are beautiful, looks like you two have been working hard!